(Headline USA) Records show the San Francisco Whole Foods that was forced to shut its doors last month after little more than a year in business had to make hundreds of emergency calls throughout that year.
The New York Times revealed that the Market Street location made 568 emergency calls in just 13 months, regarding crime, medical emergencies and drug use.
“Male [with] machete is back,” the 911 operator informed police in one call.
In another call, a store manager told operators that “another security guard was just assaulted.”
The Whole Foods security guards were frequent targets of attacks, according to the records. In one instance, security guards were assaulted by a knife-wielding man, who sprayed them with a fire extinguisher after his weapon was confiscated.
At least 14 people were arrested at the Whole Foods location and charged with grand theft and battery.
There were frequent medical emergencies related to drug use as well. One man reportedly overdosed from fentanyl and methamphetamine in the bathroom in September.
Whole Foods announced last month that it was shutting down its flagship San Francisco location, citing concerns for its employees’ safety.
Whole Foods announced this week that it is shuttering its flagship location in downtown San Francisco less than a year after it opened because of rampant crime and drug use.
“To ensure the safety of our team members we have made the difficult decision to close the Trinity store for the time being,” a Whole Foods spokesperson said in a statement on Monday, adding that the location may reopen if they feel they can ensure the safety of their team members.
The store had already cut its hours significantly in response to “high theft” and hostile people.
“We’re spending more on security than any other store, I would imagine,” the manager said at the time, according to the San Francisco Standard.