(Ken Silva, Headline USA) A leaked email from Project Veritas shows the organization asking its donors to “give us a chance” amidst its controversial ouster of founder James O’Keefe.
The email, first obtained by the Post Millennial, was sent Wednesday by Project Veritas staffer Bethany Rolando with the subject line, “Update: We hold everyone accountable, especially ourselves.”
Rolando, one of the 16 staffers to sign a letter to the board reporting personal grievances against O’Keefe, reiterated the claims that O’Keefe has not been fired, but simply placed on leave.
Rolando said Project Veritas is conducting an internal audit to see if O’Keefe violated organizational rules or misused donor funds.
Among the issues the audit will purportedly examine are O’Keefe’s alleged decision to unilaterally fire his CFO, his use of donor funds for personal benefit and his tough leadership style.
“Project Veritas has had 140 employees leave the company over the last seven years, some through their own volition, others were terminated, and the organization has incurred legal expenditures because of some of those terminations/actions,” the email said. “[Twenty] of the 140 employees were in management positions leading to potential succession plan issues to assure the long-term viability of the company.”
Instead of collaborating on the audit, O’Keefe has taken his ball and gone home, the email lamented.
“He has been invited, but has chosen not to, engage in conversations with the board and management following steps taken so far with the goal of returning to Project Veritas,” the email said. “Instead, he requested no change in authority and that most of the officers and all of the board of directors immediately resign.”
However, critics have pointed out inconsistencies in Project Veritas’s reasoning for O’Keefe’s departure, characterizing the development as a coup.
Human Events editor Jack Posobiec noted on Monday that the board originally said O’Keefe was “enjoying a well-deserved vacation.”
A former whistleblower who worked with O’Keefe also pointed out inconsistencies.
“The Project Veritas company lied to me about what happened to @JamesOKeefeIII at Project Veritas,” tweeted Zach Vorhies.
“They told me this all spun out of control because the fundraising team wanted to call donors and James O’Keefe wanted to email them instead. 100% bullshit. This is a coup.”
Meanwhile, O’Keefe apparently remains undaunted. He said Monday that he will continue producing the same groundbreaking, bombshell reports, regardless of where he lands or how the future unfolds.
“Our mission continues on. I’m not done. The mission will perhaps take on a new name. I’ll make sure you know how to find me.”
Ken Silva is a staff writer at Headline USA. Follow him at twitter.com/jd_cashless.