Quantcast

Crime-Ridden Hell-Hole Chicago Faces Lawsuit over Police ‘Stop-and-Frisk’ Policy

'This practice has to stop---and elevating this issue to a class action provides a way to make significant change and make our community better...'

(Headline USA) A federal judge has granted class-action status in a lawsuit filed six years ago that alleged the Chicago Police Department’s stop-and-frisk policy targeted black and Hispanic people.

Attorneys involved in the lawsuit announced Tuesday that the case’s six original plaintiffs are now part of a class of more than 1 million people.

The plaintiffs’ lawyers say some 2 million unconstitutional stops occurred in Chicago between 2010 and 2017 in which officers allegedly had no “reasonable suspicion” that a crime had been or was about to be committed.

The decision was handed down by Obama-appointed U.S. District Judge Andrea Wood on Aug. 31.

...article continued below
- Advertisement -

The ruling, which could lead to a trial, comes at a difficult time for a police department that has been plagued for years by the continuously escalating crime issues, even while navigating the treacherous waters of far-left social-justice activism and “defund the police” efforts.

Mayor Lori Lightfoot has flip-flopped repeatedly on her support for law-enforcement but recently was caught—along with the city’s top police official—appearing to belittle the ceremonies for a slain officer.

The goal of the lawsuit had little to do with the prospect of cash compensation and was mainly to force police to end the alleged racial profiling, claimed the lawyer who filed the it.

“This practice has to stop—and elevating this issue to a class action provides a way to make significant change and make our community better,” said attorney Antonio Romanucci in a statement.

...article continued below
- Advertisement -

In fact, the judge limited her ruling only to the possibility of a change in policy, according to Jennifer McGuffin, a spokeswoman for Romanucci’s firm.

“The judge only certified the class for injunction relief that would require the CPD to change its practices and training,” she said.

McGuffin said it remains an open question whether the original six plaintiffs from the 2015 case might receive a monetary award, but the others involved in the 2 million stops would not be in line for any money.

But the judge seemed to suggest that the city and the police department would be wise to make significant changes, pointing out that the lawsuit was a strong one.

She noted, for example, that the attorneys had “made a sufficient showing that the City knew, or should have known, that its stop and frisk program was associated with a risk of widespread” violations of the U.S. Constitution’s Fourth Amendment rights against unreasonable searches and seizures.

What those changes might look like is also an open question. The police department referred questions to the city’s law department, which in an email said, “The City does not comment on ongoing litigation.”

But in her ruling, Wood said that not only did the department make hundreds of thousands more stops before Garry McCarthy’s tenure as superintendent between 2011 and late 2015, but that after he left the department, “stops plummeted.”

McCarthy was fired by then-Mayor Rahm Emanuel shortly after the release of a video that showed a Chicago police officer fatally shooting black teenager Laquan McDonald. McCarthy could not be reached for comment.

Adapted from reporting by the Associated Press

- Advertisement -

TRENDING NOW

Maricopa Co. Supervisor Secretly Criticized Colleagues Who Opposed 2020 Election Audit

(Headline USA) A Republican official in Arizona resigned Tuesday from the board overseeing Maricopa County after a recording emerged of him criticizing his GOP colleagues...

House Dems Pass Bill to Suspend Debt Limit for Socialist Spending Spree

(Associated Press) The House voted to keep the government funded, suspend the federal debt limit and provide disaster and refugee aid, setting up a high-stakes...

Trump Sues New York Times, His Niece for $100 Million Over ‘Personal Vendetta’ Against Him

(Associated Press) Former President Donald Trump on Tuesday sued his estranged niece and the New York Times over a 2018 story about his family's...

White House Faces Bipartisan Backlash Over Border Crisis

(Associated Press) The White House is facing sharp condemnation from Democrats for its handling of the influx of Haitian migrants at the U.S. southern...

Biden’s Economy is Worse than Global Economic Experts Expected

(Casey Harper, The Center Square) – A major international economic forecasting group has now lowered its optimism about a U.S. rebound from the COVID-19...

Texas Ups Funding to Combat Smuggling, Drugs Coming Across the Border

(Bethany Blankley, The Center Square) – Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said Tuesday the state will allocate an additional $100 million to enhance Operation Lone...

John Kerry’s Wife Has Millions of Dollars Invested in China

Climate change envoy John Kerry’s wife has millions of dollars in Chinese investments through her family’s trust, according to government documents. Kerry disclosed the investments...

Texas Troopers Helped Get Control of the Border as Biden Admin Sat By

The Texas state troopers sent to the southern border by Gov. Greg Abbott are the reason law enforcement has been able to get a...

Colo. County Clerk: Dominion Voting Systems & Sec. of State Deleted Election Files

The clerk in Mesa County, Colorado has claimed, following the release of an 83-page forensic audit report, that Colorado Secretary of State Jena Griswold...
- Advertisement -