(Headline USA) NFL legend Brett Favre called for a boycott of Fox News this week following Tucker Carlson’s outing.
“I’m with Tucker,” Favre tweeted along with a clip from Megyn Kelly’s podcast, in which she blasted the network. “Time to boycott Fox until they come to their senses and let the man speak.”
Kelly reported this week that Fox is allegedly trying to bench Carlson by refusing to release him from his contract, which expires after the 2024 presidential election.
“They don’t have a deal. Why not?” Kelly asked in the clip. “Because he needs to be silenced while Fox tries to rebuild that disappearing audience.”
Kelly also called for a boycott of Fox.
“They are banking on you coming back to them. They got a debate in August. You can’t resist. You’ll go. You’ll forgive everything. They’re banking on it,” she added.
According to reports, Carlson is ready to “go to war” with Fox if the network refuses to release him from his contract. He’s considering launching his own media empire, and has even discussed the possibility of starting something new with Twitter CEO Elon Musk.
“The idea that anyone is going to silence Tucker and prevent him from speaking to his audience is beyond preposterous,” Bryan Freedman, the high-powered Hollywood lawyer Carlson retained for the contract dispute, said.
Fox’s ratings have tumbled as a result of Carlson’s exit. Fox drew 1.33 million viewers for substitute host Brian Kilmeade in the 8 p.m. Eastern hour on Wednesday night, putting the network second to MSNBC’s Chris Hayes in a competition Carlson used to dominate, the Nielsen company said. That’s down 56% from the 3.05 million viewers Carlson reached last month during one of his programs.
For all of 2022, Carlson averaged 3.03 million viewers, second only to Fox’s The Five as the most popular program on cable television.