Quantcast

Minneapolis City Council to Spend $500K on Outside Police After Cutting Own Forces

'We are ready to work collaboratively with our law enforcement partners and neighboring jurisdictions...'

The Minneapolis City Council, which voted to defund the city’s police department earlier this year, approved a plan on Friday to spend nearly $500,000 to temporarily hire an outside police force to combat a wave of violent crime.

The plan, which council members voted for 7-6, would allow the city to hire between 20 to 40 additional officers from the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office and Metro Transit Police to respond to violent 911 calls through Dec. 31.

The city would reimburse those agencies for their officers’ salaries and benefits.

“Today we sent a clear signal that we will support [Police Chief Medaria] Arradondo and that we are ready to work collaboratively with our law enforcement partners and neighboring jurisdictions while continuing to implement concrete, transformative public safety measures,” Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey said in a statement.

A few of the city council members who voted for the plan voted to defund the city’s police department back in May, according to MPR News.

- Advertisement -

The police department was never completely defunded, but its budget was cut significantly.

Now, however, city council members are hearing from concerned constituents who are experiencing rising crime in their neighborhoods.

“Residents are asking, ‘Where are the police?’” Councilman Jamal Osman said during a city council meeting in September. “That is the only public safety option they have at the moment: MPD. They rely on MPD. And they are saying they are nowhere to be seen.”

Eight Minneapolis residents even sued the city council and Frey earlier this year, alleging that they are violating the city charter’s requirement to fund a fully equipped police force.

Arradondo blamed the crime rates on a lack of resources.

- Advertisement -

“Our city is bleeding at this moment,” Arradondo said during the vote. “I’m trying to do all I can to stop that bleeding. I’ve got almost 500 people who’ve been shot and wounded in this city…. We can go back and forth on the $185 million [budget], but that isn’t stopping the bloodshed that’s occurring every day in our city.”

- Advertisement -

TRENDING NOW

Delta CANCELS Mitt Romney Heckler, Places Her on ‘No Fly List’ for Vote-Fraud Confrontation

After a video emerged of a passenger owning Sen. Mitt Romney in an awkward airport confrontation, Delta pushed back, punishing the passenger by putting...

Transgender Athletes Eagerly Await New Biden Admin.

(Headline USA) Transgender athletes are eagerly awaiting next week's transition of power as they seek to participate in high school and college sports, flouting...

Pelosi Hasn’t Sent Impeachment Articles to Senate Yet; Trump Trial Uncertain

(Headline USA) House Speaker Nancy Pelosi offered no clues Friday on her plans to send President Donald Trump’s impeachment to the Senate for trial, but...

Mike Pence Calls Kamala Harris to Offer Congratulations

(Headline USA) Vice President Mike Pence has called his soon-to-be successor Kamala Harris to offer his congratulations, according to two people familiar with the conversation. It's...
- Advertisement -