(Headline USA) The Trump administration said Tuesday that it will reject new applications and shorten renewal periods for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals policy.
The move, detailed in a memo from Acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf, ended a month of uncertainty about how the administration would respond to the Supreme Court’s decision.
Wolf said the administration may try to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program again.
He said the federal government needs more time to consider next steps, presenting the measures as a temporary change.
“DACA makes clear that, for certain large classes of individuals, DHS will at least tolerate, if not affirmatively sanction, their ongoing violation of the immigration laws,” Wolf wrote in the memo.
About 650,000 people are part of DACA, which allows young illegal alien children to work and shields them from deportation.
Roughly 66,000 people meet age requirements to apply, according to the nonpartisan Migration Policy Institute.
The government will deny all new applications, limit renewals to one year instead of two, and deny requests by DACA recipients to visit their home countries unless there are “exceptional circumstances.”
Recipients may seek permission to return home for family events, such as funerals or weddings, and other reasons.
The Supreme Court ruled last month that DHS failed to follow rule-making procedures when it tried to end the program, but the justices kept a window open for him to try again.
Democratic rival Joe Biden wants to keep DACA unconditionally.
Adapted from reporting by the Associated Press.