The United States military is in a recruiting crisis, according to the Wall Street Journal.
The US Army had its worst recruiting year since 1973, the year it became an all-volunteer force. It missed its recruiting goal by 25%, and anticipated having 15,000 fewer new recruits than needed.
The US Navy did slightly better, but projected being 10,000 new recruits short of the necessary number.
The Air Force is also in crisis as it projected to be 3,000 recruits below its needed number. The Marine Corps expected to meet its target this year, but its leaders say recruiting has been very difficult.
Overall, only 9% of Americans aged 16 to 21 said they would consider serving in the military, according to the Pentagon.
Some military recruiters reported that young people actively prefer working for fast food restaurants.
“To be honest with you it’s Wendy’s, it’s Carl’s Jr.,” said Sgt. Maj. Marco Irenze, of the Nevada Army National Guard. “That’s our competition right now.”
The plunge in popularity is unprecedented according to DoD employees. “I’ve been studying the recruiting market for about 15 years, and we’ve never seen a condition quite like this,” said a senior official.
The military has lost some of its most reliable recruits, the children of veterans.
“Influencers are not telling them to go into the military,” said Adm. Mike Mullen, the former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. “Moms and dads, uncles, coaches and pastors don’t see it as a good choice.”
Even The Wall Street Journal recognized the role that the military’s woke policies have played in decline.
“Those on the right have expressed concerns about the military focusing on progressive issues, or in the terms of some Republican lawmakers, being too ‘woke,'” the newspaper reported.
Some woke policies that could have contributed to the drop in recruits are:
- Biden’s prioritizing green energy equipment over military readiness.
- Tyrannical vaccine mandates that resulted in separation for some service members.
- The military refusing to grant a single religious exemption for its vaccine mandate.
- The DoD funding abortions and granting 3 weeks leave for soldiers to kill their babies.
- The Pentagon prioritizing woke political subjects over veteran suicides.
- West Point’s woke politics.
- The Pentagon targeting MAGA politics.