Quantcast

Judge Rejects Proud Boys’ Argument that Jan. 6 Protest Was Protected Speech

'Even if the charged conduct had some expressive aspect, it lost whatever First Amendment protection it may have had...'

(Headline USA) A federal judge refused to dismiss an indictment charging four alleged leaders of the far-right Proud Boys with conspiring to attack the U.S. Capitol to stop Congress from certifying President Joe Biden’s disputed electoral victory.

Just before Congress convened a joint session to certify the election results, a group of Proud Boys followed a crowd of people who breached barriers at a pedestrian entrance to the Capitol grounds, the indictment says. Several Proud Boys also entered the Capitol building itself after the mob smashed windows and forced open doors.

U.S. District Judge Timothy Kelly on Tuesday rejected defense attorneys’ arguments that the four men—Ethan Nordean, Joseph Biggs, Zachary Rehl and Charles Donohoe—are charged with conduct that is protected by the First Amendment right to free speech.

Kelly said the defendants had many nonviolent ways to express their opinions about the 2020 presidential election.

...article continued below
- Advertisement -

“Defendants are not, as they argue, charged with anything like burning flags, wearing black armbands, or participating in mere sit-ins or protests,” Kelly wrote in his 43-page ruling. “Moreover, even if the charged conduct had some expressive aspect, it lost whatever First Amendment protection it may have had.”

Nordean, Biggs, Rehl and Donohoe were indicted in March on charges including conspiracy and obstructing an official proceeding (a felony charge concocted specially by the Justice Department to inflict greater punishment on the pro-Trump political dissidents).

All four of them remain jailed while they await a trial scheduled for May—a flagrant violation of the Fifth Amendment in its own right.

Defense lawyers also argued that the obstruction charge doesn’t apply to their clients’ cases because Congress’ certification of the Electoral College vote was not an “official proceeding.” Kelly disagreed.

...article continued below
- Advertisement -

Earlier this month, another judge in the District of Columbia’s federal court upheld prosecutors’ use of the same obstruction charge in a separate case against two riot defendants.

The case against Nordean, Biggs, Rehl and Donohoe is a focus of the Justice Department’s sprawling investigation of the Jan. 6 protest.

Roughly three dozen of the more than 700 people charged in the Capitol uprising have been identified by federal authorities as Proud Boys leaders, members or associates—including at least 16 defendants charged with conspiracy.

Last Wednesday, a New York man pleaded guilty to storming the U.S. Capitol with fellow Proud Boys members in what appears to have been a brokered plea deal.

Matthew Greene is the first Proud Boys member to publicly plead guilty to conspiring with other members to stop Congress from certifying the Electoral College vote. He agreed to cooperate with authorities.

Other groups’ members also have been charged with conspiring to carry out coordinated attacks on the Capitol, including more than 20 people linked to military-veterans group the Oath Keepers.

Of the more than 700 people have been charged with federal crimes related to the Capitol riot, at least 165 of them have pleaded guilty, mostly to misdemeanor offenses punishable by a maximum of six months’ imprisonment.

Adapted from reporting by the Associated Press

Copyright 2022. No part of this site may be reproduced in whole or in part in any manner without the permission of the copyright owner. To inquire about licensing content, use the contact form at https://headlineusa.com/advertising.
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

TRENDING NOW

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

- Advertisement -