In a 65-page complaint filed in federal court in Washington, D.C. on Friday, Swalwell accuses Trump, his eldest son, Rep. Mo Brooks, R-Ala., and former Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani of inciting a riot and violating a number of federal and D.C. laws.
Each of the defendants spoke at the “Stop the Steal” rally hosted in D.C., and Swalwell argued the rally is what led to the breaching of the U.S. Capitol building.
“The horrific events of January 6 were a direct and foreseeable consequence of the Defendants’ unlawful actions,” the complaint states. “As such, the Defendants are responsible for the injury and destruction that followed.”
The lawsuit seeks unspecified money damages and asks for the court to require Trump and his allies to provide at least a week’s notice before holding any future rally in D.C. related to an election.
Swalwell’s complaint claims Trump and his allies violated federal civil rights law by “conspiring” to prevent lawmakers and former Vice President Mike Pence from certifying President Biden’s election win.
The lawsuit also alleges that Brooks “conspired with the other Defendants to undermine the election results by alleging, without evidence, that the election had been rigged and by pressuring elected officials, courts, and ultimately Congress to reject the results.”
Brooks dismissed Swalwell’s lawsuit as a “frivolous,” partisan hit job.
“Under no circumstances will Swalwell, or any other Socialist, stop me from fighting for America,” Brooks said in a statement.
Trump’s senior adviser Jason Miller blasted Swalwell as a “low life” with “no credibility.”
“Now, after failing miserably with two impeachment hoaxes,” Swalwell is attacking “our greatest President with yet another witch hunt,” Miller said in a statement. “It’s a disgrace that a compromised Member of Congress like Swalwell still sits on the House Intelligence Committee.”