(José Niño, Headline USA) Michael Caruso, the suspended clerk of courts for Palm Beach County, remained behind bars for another night after authorities charged him with sexually abusing a young relative, according to a CBS News report. Caruso, who previously oversaw the county’s clerk’s office, appeared in court restrained at the wrists and waist to face the accusations, the outlet noted.
Judge Donald Hafele opened Wednesday’s proceeding by clarifying he had no prior relationship with the defendant. “Let the record reflect that I have never met Mr. Caruso, nor do I know him in any capacity other than the fact that he’s now the suspended clerk of courts,” he said, according to CBS News.
Investigators arrested Caruso on Tuesday, and CBS News reported he is accused of molesting a family member younger than 12, with alleged incidents tied to both South Florida and the Orlando area. During the hearing, Judge Hafele noted that Orange County also wants Caruso and asked, “Mr. Caruso, you are wanted out of Orange County. Does the defense wish me to waive reading?” Caruso’s attorney answered simply, “Yes.”
The judge ultimately refused to set bond, leaving that decision for a judge in Orange County to reconsider later, CBS News reported. Ahead of any transfer, Caruso must abide by strict limits on who he can contact.
Judge Hafele instructed him directly, “Mr. Caruso, if you kindly sign that please. It bars you from any contact with the alleged victim, his family.” He continued, “This also includes no contact whatsoever with anyone under the age of 18. Do you understand?” Caruso replied, “Yes, sir.”
Caruso’s legal team maintains he did not commit the alleged crimes. His attorney told CBS News Miami’s West Palm Beach affiliate in a statement, “Mr. Caruso is innocent of these allegations and intends to vigorously defend himself against these charges.” The attorney added, “We look forward to his expeditious transfer to Orange County so that appropriate bond conditions can be set.”
Caruso had already been suspended from his elected role as clerk of courts before this latest arrest, as detailed in a related CBS News article on the governor’s decision to remove him from office.
José Niño is the deputy editor of Headline USA. Follow him at x.com/JoseAlNino
