UPDATE 10:15 AM: OANN reports that former President Donald Trump has offered for National Guard troops who were poorly treated by US Capitol officials — being forced to sleep on concrete floors in parking garages — can stay at the Trump International Hotel, according to The Gateway Pundit.
Also, Fox News reports that three Republican governors are calling back their National Guard troops from Washington:
Govs. Ron DeSantis (Fla.), Chris Sununu (NH) and Greg Abbott (Texas) announced that they are bringing their National Guard troops back from Washington, D.C., after reports they were posted up in a parking garage near the Capitol to rest during their shifts, a move that caused outrage at the treatment of the servicemembers.
ORIGINAL ARTICLE: (Headline USA) After President Joe Biden’s inauguration went off almost entirely without incident, more than 15,000 National Guard members are preparing to leave Washington, D.C., and head home — but only after they were treated shabbily during their stay.
The Washington Post and Politico reported that hundreds of Guard troops were forced out of areas of the Capitol they had been using for rest breaks and were relocated to a nearby garage.
Photos of the troops in the garage drew outrage from lawmakers.
I just visited the solders who have been abandoned & insulted by our leaders. I brought them pizza and told them that they can sleep in my office.
No soldier will ever, ever sleep on a garage floor in the US Capitol while I work in Congress
Our Troops deserve better. pic.twitter.com/4attFqhRRJ
— Madison Cawthorn (@CawthornforNC) January 22, 2021
This is absolutely unacceptable and despicable treatment of our brave and dedicated National Guard who answered the call to serve.
We need to demand answers now and this needs to be fixed immediately. https://t.co/FyNUpFYJyX
— Elise Stefanik (@EliseStefanik) January 22, 2021
Sen. Tammy Duckworth, an Iraq War veteran, tweeted: “Just made a number of calls and have been informed Capitol Police have apologized to the Guardsmen and they will be allowed back into the complex tonight. I’ll keep checking to make sure they are.”
After midnight, Duckworth tweeted an update: “Troops are now all out of the garage. Now I can go to bed.”
Politico reported that they had been allowed back into the Capitol.
Thousands of Guard troops from all across the country poured into D.C. by the planeload and busload late last week, in response to alleged escalating security threats and fears of more rioting.
Military aircraft crowded the runways at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland, carrying Guard members into the region after the Jan. 6 siege of the U.S. Capitol.
Guard forces were scattered around the city, helping to secure the Capitol, monuments, Metro entrances and the perimeter of central D.C., which was largely locked down for several days leading up to Wednesday’s inaugural ceremony.
The U.S. Secret Service announced that the special security event for the inauguration officially ended at noon Thursday.
The Guard said that it may take several days to make all the arrangements to return the 15,000 home, but it should be complete in five to 10 days.
Guard members will have to turn in equipment, make travel plans and go through COVID-19 screening.
Some local law enforcement agencies have asked for continued assistance from the Guard, so roughly 7,000 troops are expected to stay in the region through the end of the month.
The National Guard Bureau said Thursday that of the nearly 26,000 Guard troops deployed to D.C. for the inaugural, just 10,600 remain on duty. The bureau said the Guard is helping states with coordination and the logistics so that troops can get home.
Adapted from reporting by Associated Press.