They called themselves democracy’s defenders and relentlessly claimed that if Republicans prevailed, Nov. 8 would be America’s final Election Day, ever.
“I’m worried that if Republicans win in the midterm elections, voting in this country as we know it will be gone,” Rep. Eric Swalwell, D-Calif., moaned to MSNBC. “This is not only the most important election, but if we don’t get it right, it could be the last election.”
President Joe Biden accused “extreme MAGA Republicans” of harboring “appetites of autocracy.”
How bitterly ironic, then, that the Twitter Files unmask the Democrat Party as America’s biggest threat to democracy.
The social-media giant’s internal records, recently released by new owner Elon Musk, are even worse than feared. Since at least 2016, pro-Democrat officials and their supporters at Twitter blindfolded, bound, and gagged democracy, like a hostage in a Mob basement.
Consider this indictment of Democrat crimes against democracy:
• Censorship: Twitter aggressively covered up the story of Hunter Biden’s Laptop from Hell. Twitter customers who promoted this tale of high-level corruption found this news unshared and their accounts sandbagged.
Stanford Medical School’s Dr. Jayanta Bhattacharya is among those whom Twitter blacklisted for being skeptical about COVID-19 lockdowns.
The same Leftists who “trust science” despise the scientific method, which requires freedom to ask questions, debate openly and attempt to duplicate results. Today’s gagging of researchers and physicians is as anti-science as the 17th Century persecution of heliocentrist Galileo Galilei.
• Attacks on the free press: Twitter rewarded the New York Post for breaking the Laptop from Hell story by padlocking for 15 days the account of America’s oldest daily newspaper, which Alexander Hamilton founded in 1801.
• Election interference: Twitter’s assault on the Post was odiously timed. It began on Oct. 14, 2020, during widespread early voting and just 20 days before the Nov. 3 election.
“Who the hell elected you and put you in charge of what the media are allowed to report and what the American people are allowed to hear?” Sen. Ted Cruz, R – Texas, asked Twitter’s then-CEO Jack Dorsey at a Senate hearing. Cruz called Twitter “a Democratic Super PAC.”
BREAKING: A new poll from @newsbusters shows liberal media censorship cost Trump votes.
Had they known about stories like Biden scandals, Kamala Harris' leftist views or Trump's accomplishments, 17% of Biden voters would have voted for Trump.https://t.co/zO5dkWrxqL pic.twitter.com/8rE8mM7Bff
— Stop Abortion Now (@LifeNewsToo) November 24, 2020
Without these 7.6 million Biden votes, Donald J. Trump would be president. So, rather than place their collective thumb on the electoral scale, they plopped their left foot on it.
• Abuse of power: Most shocking, officials from FBI, Department of Homeland Security, and Office of the Director of National Intelligence (which oversees the CIA) met repeatedly (in the FBI’s case, weekly) with Twitter executives, to entomb Hunter’s story. This transformed Twitter’s despicable private-sector behavior into an illegal, secret-police-like abuse of government power and a brass-knuckled mugging of the First Amendment.
• Government lies: Federal authorities, elected and otherwise, ridiculed Hunter’s laptop as “a Russian disinformation operation.” So did more than 50 now thoroughly discredited former intelligence officers. As the election climaxed, these liars lied to the American people.
• Perjury: Dorsey and other Twitter executives told Congress under oath that they did not shadowban conservatives. But they did. This perjury should send them to prison.
Democrats loudly proclaimed themselves bulwarks against the GOP’s clear and present danger to democracy. Meanwhile, Democrat officials, candidates, and their friends and donors at Twitter (whose contributions went 98.5% to Democrats in 2020 and 99.7% in 2022) perpetrated censorship, attacked the free press, corrupted an election, abused government power, lied to voters and committed perjury.
Musk concluded: “Twitter is both a social-media company and a crime scene.”
Twitter is both a social media company and a crime scene
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) December 10, 2022
If Democrats had any shame, they would rebrand themselves the Anti-Democrat Party.
Deroy Murdock is a Manhattan-based Fox News contributor. Michael Malarkey contributed research to this opinion piece.