(Dmytro “Henry” Aleksandrov, Headline USA) House Republicans and Speaker Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., decided to stop the release of the surveillance video from Jan. 6 that they had previously offered to Fox News anchor Tucker Carlson, saying clips could not be shown to the public without a prior security clearance.
Last week, Carlson, one of the last conservative pundits on Fox News, announced that he would start airing Jan. 6, 2021, footage, after McCarthy offered him, as Carlson himself described, an “unfettered” exclusive access to more than 40,000 hours of unreleased surveillance tape, according to Wayne Dupree.
However, despite the promises, McCarthy and other Republicans said on Tuesday that neither Carlson’s team nor the American people will be able to know the truth until the government officials look through the footage to make sure that the people would only be able to see the footage that they are “supposed” to see.
The official excuse is that the footage must be evaluated to make sure that the security of the Capitol building is not jeopardized. According to the Speaker, Republicans are collaborating with the U.S. Capitol Police to ensure that the Capitol is secure.
“There are far more tape hours than we were ever informed. They claimed that it took almost 14,000 hours to get started. There have been nearly 42,000 hours. We are resolving that,” McCarthy said. “We work with the Capitol Police as well, so we’ll make sure security is taken care of.”
He also added that Carlson’s team wanted to view some areas of the Capitol, but also made it clear that they are not concerned about the “exit ways.”
McCarthy admitted that he hasn’t spoken to Carlson directly about the Jan. 6 video. He also chastised the partisan J6 Inquisition for airing footage of his employees being ejected from his office wing on Jan. 6.
‘They went in and showed our office. They never spoke to any of us about it,” he said.